Tragic De Soto Incident: Leland Arnett Dies After Baseball Bat Assault, Suspect Faces Upgraded Charges
De Soto boy Leland Arnett dies days after home attack that injured his mother Deborah Arnett as investigation and court case continue Jackson County.
Authorities in De Soto, Missouri, are investigating a tragic domestic violence case that has left a young boy dead and his mother critically injured, following an alleged attack inside their Hickory Street home that has now escalated into a first-degree murder investigation.
According to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office, deputies responded to a 911 call on May 13 and discovered a devastating scene inside the residence. Investigators said 10-year-old Leland Arnett and his mother, Deborah Arnett, had been attacked with a baseball bat by a former partner of the mother. Both victims were found with severe injuries and rushed to a nearby hospital for emergency treatment.
Despite days of intensive medical care, Leland later died from his injuries, deepening the tragedy and prompting prosecutors to upgrade charges against the suspect, Marcus Moultrie. Authorities confirmed that what initially began as attempted murder charges has now been elevated to two counts of first-degree murder following the child’s death.
Court officials said a judge has denied pretrial release for Moultrie, meaning he will remain in custody as the case moves forward. Prosecutors are continuing to review medical reports, forensic evidence, and investigative findings as they prepare for a grand jury presentation in the coming stages of the legal process.
Officials with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office have described the investigation as active and ongoing, urging anyone with additional information about the incident to come forward. Detectives are continuing to gather statements and evidence to build a clearer timeline of events leading up to the attack.
The loss of Leland Arnett has sent shockwaves through the local community, where neighbors and residents are struggling to process the violence that unfolded inside what should have been a safe home environment. Many have expressed sorrow for the family while also calling for awareness and prevention of domestic violence situations.
Deborah Arnett remains under medical care as she recovers from serious injuries sustained in the attack. Community members have organized support efforts, including a fundraiser to help cover medical expenses, funeral arrangements, and ongoing family needs during this difficult time.
As the investigation continues, authorities say they remain focused on ensuring accountability while supporting the surviving family members. The case is expected to move through the court system in the coming months, as officials work to fully document the circumstances surrounding the attack and its devastating outcome.
.png)