A Los Angeles courtroom heard disturbing details Friday as a deputy medical examiner described the injuries suffered by 14-year-old Celeste Rivas Hernandez, whose remains were found inside the trunk of a Tesla months after she disappeared. The testimony added painful details to a case that has drawn widespread attention while investigators and prosecutors continue seeking answers about the teenager’s death.


Dr. Grant Ho, a Los Angeles County deputy medical examiner, testified during the fourth day of a preliminary hearing involving singer D4vd. He told the court that Rivas Hernandez suffered two penetrating wounds, including one on the right side of her abdomen that injured her liver and another near the lower left side of her chest that damaged her ribs. Due to advanced decomposition, Ho said he could not determine what type of weapon caused the injuries. The testimony added more information about the medical findings.

The medical examiner ruled Rivas Hernandez’s death a homicide based on the findings presented in court. Ho testified that she may have survived for several minutes and possibly up to an hour after sustaining the fatal injuries. His testimony provided investigators with additional information about the circumstances surrounding her death while also highlighting the challenges created by the condition of her remains. The findings offered a clearer medical picture as the court examined evidence connected to the case.

Ho also described the condition of Rivas Hernandez’s remains when they were discovered on Sept. 8, 2025. He testified that her left eye was missing and part of her skull had become skeletonized by the time authorities recovered her body. Because of the advanced state of decomposition, he said he could not determine the exact date of death, only that she had been deceased for at least several weeks before being found. The details revealed during testimony showed the difficulty of determining a precise timeline.

The teenager’s disappearance and death have remained at the center of an ongoing criminal investigation. Prosecutors allege that Burke, who is now 21, killed Rivas Hernandez on April 23, 2025. Court documents previously filed in the case state that prosecutors believe the alleged motive involved claims that she threatened to reveal their relationship and harm Burke’s music career. Prosecutors continue presenting their arguments as the hearing addresses the evidence gathered during the investigation process. The hearing remains focused on establishing the facts.

Burke has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him, and the legal process remains ongoing. The preliminary hearing is intended to determine whether prosecutors have presented enough evidence for the case to move forward toward trial. As testimony continues, the court is reviewing medical findings, investigative details, and other evidence connected to the allegations. Defense attorneys are expected to challenge aspects of the allegations while the court evaluates all available evidence during proceedings.

For Celeste Rivas Hernandez’s family and those who cared about her, the courtroom proceedings represent a difficult effort to understand the events that led to her death. Every new piece of testimony brings additional information while also reopening painful emotions surrounding the loss of a young life. The case continues to develop as both sides present information before the court. Supporters of Celeste continue honoring her life as the judicial process moves forward with additional reviews.

The preliminary hearing remains underway as authorities and legal officials continue examining the evidence. Celeste’s memory remains at the center of a case that has deeply affected many people, while her family and supporters continue waiting for answers and justice. The outcome of the proceedings will depend on the evidence presented and the decisions made throughout the legal process.